Royal Bank of Scotland, Stepps Branch

The village of Stepps has been served by a branch of The Royal Bank of Scotland since December 1926. With a growing number of professionals moving into the Stepps area, Royal Bank of Scotland decided in 1926 to build an office in Stepps. The nearest branches at the time were in Kirkintilloch and Coatbridge, so it made sense for the bank to open a branch in Stepps to allow local businesses and residents to use banking facilities in the local area. A house known as Rossholm, at the corner of Cumbernauld Road and Blenheim Avenue, was purchased by the Royal Bank of Scotland and the ground floor was converted into banking premises with the living premises for the bank manager and family located above. The Stepps branch officially opened on 13th December 1926.

 

The banks first manager, Henry Robson, remained in charge of the Stepps branch until 1939 and was replaced by David Barnett, who was manager of the bank until 1959. The 1960s were a challenging time for the banking industry but the RBS branch in Stepps continued to prosper and in 1967 the bank was renovated. The renovations took two years to complete and involved a completely new layout for the customer and staff areas as well as the addition of a new entrance porch, below the banks distinctive turret.

 

Since 1926, the Royal Bank of Scotland has provided banking facilities to the community of Stepps and continues to do so from its premises at 183 Cumbernauld Road.

Buchanan Business Tower, previously known as Black & White Whisky Tower

One of the most recognisable buildings in Stepps, now known as Buchanan Tower, was once home to whisky distillers James Buchanan & Co. Opened by Sir Alec Douglas-Home on 22nd May 1969, having taken over three years to build and at a cost of five million pounds, the blending and bottling plant employed over 800 locals producing four million cases of blended whisky each year. Twenty thousand casks of whisky, around eleven million litres, could be stored in the ten-storey tower at its full capacity. The plant was closed in 1987 as part of a business restructuring procedure involving the takeover of the company by Guinness. In the following years the buildings have been used as offices and storage for a number of companies.

Please use the links on the side menu to find out about the history of Churches, Schools, the Bowling Club and Industry in Stepps.

Stepps War Memorials

  • There are three war memorials in Stepps, you can find out lots of interesting information about the memorials at Stepps War Memorials Website

There are a selection of take away outlets in the Stepps area, these include:

Gino's - Fish and Chip shop located at Millerston traffic lights on the corner of Cumbernauld Road and Station Road. Serves great fish suppers and oven baked pizzas.

Tel: 0141 779 2800

Address: 1769 Cumbernauld Road, Stepps, Glasgow G33 1AA

 

Real Spice - Indian take away found on Cumbernauld Road with a large selection of Indian meals to choose from.

Tel: 0141 779 4529

Address: Cumbernauld Road, Stepps, Glasgow G33 6EP

 

Ruby''s - Indian take away next door to Gino''s at Millerston Lights.

Tel: 0141 779 9595

Address: 1767 Cumbernauld Road, Stepps, Glasgow G33 1AA

 

Orchid Lane - Chinese take away on the Main St. in Muirhead. Also has a restaurant if you wish to sit in.

Tel: 0141 779 4180

Address: 136 Cumbernauld Road, Chryston, Glasgow G69 9DY

 

Park Fish Bar

Tel: 0141 779 2740
Address: 162-166 Cumbernauld Road, Chryston, Glasgow G69 9NB

 

Michael Chau''s - Chinese Take Away

Tel: 0141 779 9338

Address: 100 Cumbernauld Road, Muirhead, Glasgow G69 9AB